GregorXane

Gregor Xane

I prefer science fiction, fantasy, and horror without the spaceships, dragons, and zombies.

Dial H Vol. 1: Into You (The New 52)

Dial H Vol. 1: Into You (The New 52) - China Mieville I liked the basic premise and the fact that the protagonists were a woefully overweight and generally unhealthy man in his late twenties and an elderly woman.

I didn't like the fact that DC chose to depict a much more trimmed down version of the main protagonist on the cover of this book. Really? They didn't think they could sell a comic book with a fat guy on the cover? I also found that the author was trying too hard to be funny at times. China Miéville isn't funny (as evidenced by his novels Kraken and Un Lun Dun). I do like Mr. Miéville's other works, and consider him to be one of my favorite authors, and I likely wouldn't have picked this up had he not written it. I didn't find the stories compelling or the various heroes that the H Dial conjures up quite quirky, funny, or bizarre enough to really entertain. It's too bad that the 'serious' Mr. Miéville didn't write this comic. That could have been something truly fine.