GregorXane

Gregor Xane

I prefer science fiction, fantasy, and horror without the spaceships, dragons, and zombies.

Neuropath

Neuropath - R. Scott Bakker This book was built on the typical serial killer story engine and was suitably fast-paced and exciting. The protagonist made some crazy dumb choices in the book and this wasn't necessary to advance the plot, considering the resourcefulness and brilliance of the bad guys. It seemed that Bakker just didn't want to re-write scenes, instead choosing to try and justify the protagonist's bad choices later in the text. Yes, the book was flawed, but it was still extremely entertaining, and thought-provoking, and I did have trouble putting the thing down. It was well-written and I really enjoyed the overall tone of the book, all dread, all darknesss, nothing but hopelessness. The ending was appropriate to the tone of the book, and if you stop to think about it a bit, even though the good guys do live, they probably won't want to for long. I'll certainly be picking up Bakker's Prince of Nothing books after reading this one. It reminded me of early Michael Marshall Smith, and I really do love Smith's early works.